The U.S. Copyright Office is a member of U.S. government delegations that participate in meetings of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). The Register of Copyrights and other senior leadership of the Office regularly participate in conferences and symposia sponsored by the WIPO in Geneva and in other WIPO-sponsored meetings around the world. The Copyright Office and WIPO also co-sponsor training programs in Washington, D.C. for government officials and experts from developing countries and other countries revisiting their copyright laws or enforcement regimes.
Below is a list of links to various international copyright treaties and other materials, including ongoing developments at WIPO. Much of the ongoing work at WIPO is currently taking place in the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights (SCCR).
International Copyright Treaties Administered by WIPO and where the United States is a Party
Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (1971 Paris text)
WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT) (1996)
WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty (WPPT) (1996)
Geneva Phonograms Convention (Convention for the Protection of Producers of Phonograms Against Unauthorized Duplication of Their Phonograms) (1971)
Brussels Satellite Convention (Convention Relating to the Distribution of Program-Carrying Signals Transmitted by Satellite) (1974)
Recent Treaties Adopted at WIPO
- U.S. Copyright Press Statement on Marrakesh Read more.
- Discussions leading up to Treaty conclusion on limitations and exceptions for visually impaired persons and other persons with print disabilities (WIPO report from the June 2011 SCCR meeting, see paragraphs 103-216). Read more.
- Pre-2013 WIPO initiatives with inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations on facilitating access to copyright works for visually impaired persons. Read more.
Beijing Treaty on Audiovisual Performances (June 26, 2012)
- U.S. Copyright Office Press Statement on Beijing Treaty Read more.
- Discussion leading up to conclusion of the Treaty on international protection for audiovisual performances. Read more.
Copyright Issues Under Consideration at WIPO
- Ongoing discussion regarding international protection for broadcasting organizations.
- Ongoing discussion regarding limitations and exceptions, including for libraries and archives and also educational activities. Read more.
- Statement of the United States on limitations and exceptions relating to libraries and archives at the WIPO SCCR 22nd Session (June 22, 2011) Read more.
- Statement of the United States on limitations and exceptions relating to libraries and archives at the WIPO SCCR 23nd Session (November 22, 2011). Read more.
- Ongoing discussion on traditional cultural expressions/expressions of folklore.
- Register of Copyrights Pallante spoke at the WIPO event on "Enabling Creativity in the Digital Environment: Copyright Documentation and Infrastructure", October 13-14, 2011
Treaties Administered by UNESCO and where the United States is a Party
Universal Copyright Convention