Statutory License for Secondary Transmissions by Cable Systems - Section 111
An important message for cable operators on filing statements of account: Beginning with the January 1 to June 30, 2017, accounting period (2017/1), the U.S. Copyright Office allows cable systems operating under the section 111 statutory license for secondary transmissions of broadcast programming to electronically sign statements of account and submit these documents to the Office electronically. For details see the Federal Register, May 19, 2017 (82 FR 22884).
*NOTE: Submit statements via only one of the below methods. Do not submit statements both electronically and by mail.*
TO FILE YOUR STATEMENTS OF ACCOUNT ELECTRONICALLY:
- The Licensing Division has released Excel versions of its short- and long-form statements of account to submit via email:
- Filers must sign the form using an electronic or “s-signature” (e.g., /s/ John Smith).
- Filers must submit the form in its native Excel format, along with the remittance advice, via email to [email protected].
- NOTE: Copyright Office Excel forms that have been converted to a PDF prior to submission will not be accepted. Please send the signed Excel file.
- FILE SIZE LIMITATION: [email protected] has a file size limitation of 20 MB for each submission. Submit one email for each statement of account. The Office may not be able to accept multiple or batch statement of account filings in one email.
- To confirm receipt, the Licensing Division will email an acknowledgement of receipt and, later, a digitally-signed and stamped PDF copy of the electronic form to the cable operator, using the email address designated in Space N of the form.
- When filing your e-SOA by email, do not also mail or fax your form to the Licensing Division.
TO FILE YOUR STATEMENTS OF ACCOUNT BY MAIL:
- The Licensing Division offers fillable-PDF forms for both the short- and long-form statements of account to submit via mail:
- Filers should certify the form with a handwritten signature.
- Filers must submit the form, along with a legible copy of the form and the remittance advice, via physical mail in accordance with the instructions on the form.
- When filing your SOA by mail, do not also email or fax your form to the Licensing Division.
When filing a statement of account using either of the above options, you must also submit the fully completed remittance advice via email to [email protected] or fax to 202-707-0905. Ensure that your remittance advice includes all the required information as specified by federal regulations [see 37 CFR §201.17(k)].
AMENDED STATEMENTS OF ACCOUNT:
If submitting an amended statement of account by regular mail, please include a cover letter explaining the change(s). If submitting an amended statement of account electronically, please indicate in the body of the email that you are submitting an amended statement of account and attach a cover letter explaining the change(s).
Regardless of the change(s) being made and how the amended statement of account is submitted, please remit the required $50 amendment fee with the submission.
If you have questions about filing your statement of account electronically, please see the FAQs at https://www.copyright.gov/licensing/111/esoa-faqs.pdf.
If you have additional questions, please email your inquiry to [email protected] or call 202-707-8150
Section 111 of the Copyright Act of 1976, Title 17 of the United States Code, established a compulsory licensing system under which cable systems may make secondary transmissions of copyrighted works. The license prescribes various conditions under which cable systems may obtain a compulsory license to retransmit copyrighted works, including the filing of statements of account forms. It also establishes the requirements governing the form, content of the filing of these semiannual statements, and submission of statutory royalty payments. 37 CFR 201.17
The law requires a cable system to file statements of account for two purposes:
- (1) to show basis for the semiannual royalty fee the cable system owes under its statutory license; and
- (2) to give the information needed to allocate royalty fees among copyright owners.
- you are the legal owner (or represent the owner) of a cable system on the last day of the accounting period;
- you are filing the semiannual statement of account required by the copyright law; and
- you are also depositing the required semiannual royalty fee and filing fee with the Licensing Division of the Copyright Office.
STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT FORMS TO USE
- If your figure for semiannual gross receipts in Space K is less than $527,600, use either the paper SA 1-2 Short Form or Excel-based SA1-2E Short Form.
- If your figure for semiannual gross receipts in Space K is $527,600 or more, use either the paper SA3 Long Form or Excel-based SA3E Long FOrm.
- Note: If you are filing for an accounting period prior to the January 1 to June 30, 2017, accounting period (2017/1), you may access these forms at www.copyright.gov/licensing/saold.html, which must be submitted in paper form via physical mail. If you have any additional questions, you may contact the division.