What is Copyright?
Learn about the basics of copyright with our new online reference page.
By appointment only: To submit claims, request certified copies of certificates or copyright deposits, or request searches, visit our Public Information Office by making an appointment here. For visits to our Copyright Public Records Reading Room only, make an appointment here.
The Register of Copyrights updated a declaration of a disruption that indicates an outage existed from 5 p.m. August 12, 2021, until 6 a.m. eastern time on August 29, 2021. The Declaration Page includes instructions for affected applicants to request an adjustment of their effective date of registration.
Search Copyright Records
Search our online records, learn about our searching and retrieval services, and view educational videos and materials.Learn More
Register Your Works
Register your work or learn more about the registration process with the Copyright Office.Learn More
We accept certain types of documents for filing and indexing into our public records.Learn More
View current Copyright Law of the United States and related laws contained in Title 17 of the U.S.Code.Learn More
- Coronavirus Updates
Operations updates during the COVID-19 pandemic
- U.S. Copyright Law
Title 17 of the U.S. Code
- Code of Federal Regulations
Title 37, Chapter II
- Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices
- Copyright Modernization
Modernization efforts across the entire Office
- Music Modernization Act
Background and implementation steps
- Copyright Small Claims
Learn about the Copyright Claims Board
Upcoming Copyright Office public events
- Copyright Office Proposes Small Claims Procedures for Active Proceedings and Evidence | December 8
- Kimberley Isbell Appointed Acting General Counsel and Associate Register of Copyrights | December 6
- Copyright Office Reports Substantial Progress on CASE Act Implementation, Extends Date for Commencement of Copyright Claims Board Operations | November 30
- Public Registration Opens for Publishers Protections Roundtable | November 15
- U.S. Copyright Office Further Extends Comment Period for Copyright Claims Board Initiating Proceedings Rulemaking | November 10
- News archive
The Music Modernization Act
This featured video highlights The Orrin G. Hatch-Bob Goodlatte Music Modernization Act (Music Modernization Act) the most significant piece of copyright legislation in decades and updates our current laws to reflect modern consumer preferences and technological developments in the music marketplace.