What is Copyright?
Learn about the basics of copyright with our new online reference page.
Onsite Services in our offices in Washington, DC, are available by appointment. To submit claims, request certified copies of certificates or copyright deposits, or request searches, visit our Public Information Office by making an appointment here. Copyright Office Reading Room services are available in the James Madison Memorial Building, room LM-463.
Search Copyright Records
Search our online records, learn about our searching and retrieval services, and view educational videos and materials.Learn More
Register Your Works
Register your work or learn more about the registration process with the Copyright Office.Learn More
Record transfers of copyright ownership and other documents pertaining to copyright for indexing into our public records.Learn More
View current Copyright Law of the United States and related laws contained in Title 17 of the U.S.Code.Learn More
- Copyright and Artificial Intelligence
Learn about copyright and artificial intelligence
- Copyright Small Claims
Learn about the Copyright Claims Board
- U.S. Copyright Law
Title 17 of the U.S. Code
- Code of Federal Regulations
Title 37, Chapter II
- Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices
- Copyright Modernization
Modernization efforts across the entire Office
- Music Modernization Act
Background and implementation steps
- Engage Your Creativity
Resources for creators
Upcoming Copyright Office public events
- U.S. Copyright Office Issues a Supplemental Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Related to Termination Rights, Royalty Distributions, Ownership Transfers, Disputes, and the Music Modernization Act’s Statutory Mechanical Blanket License | September 26
- U.S. Copyright Office Extends Deadline for Comments on Artificial Intelligence Notice of Inquiry | September 21
- Copyright Office Announces Open Application Period for Ringer Fellowship | September 11
- U.S. Copyright Office Issues Interpretive Rule Regarding Fees for Late Royalty Payments Under the Music Modernization Act’s Blanket Mechanical License | September 5
- U.S. Copyright Office Issues Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Regarding Access to Electronic Deposits | September 1
- News archive
The Music Modernization Act
This featured video highlights The Orrin G. Hatch-Bob Goodlatte Music Modernization Act (Music Modernization Act) the most significant piece of copyright legislation in decades and updates our current laws to reflect modern consumer preferences and technological developments in the music marketplace.