What is Copyright?
Learn about the basics of copyright with our new online reference page.
New Electronic Recordation System Open to All
The new electronic Recordation System is available to the full public. Start using it today for faster processing times and better user experience than our legacy paper-based process. For more information, visit the landing page for FAQ , guides, and tutorials.
Onsite Services in our offices in Washington, DC, are available by appointment. To submit claims, request certified copies of certificates or copyright deposits, or request searches, visit our Public Information Office by making an appointment here. For visits to our Copyright Public Records Reading Room only, make an appointment here.
Search Copyright Records
Search our online records, learn about our searching and retrieval services, and view educational videos and materials.Learn More
Register Your Works
Register your work or learn more about the registration process with the Copyright Office.Learn More
We accept certain types of documents for filing and indexing into our public records.Learn More
View current Copyright Law of the United States and related laws contained in Title 17 of the U.S.Code.Learn More
- Copyright Small Claims
Learn about the Copyright Claims Board
- Coronavirus Updates
Operations updates during the COVID-19 pandemic
- U.S. Copyright Law
Title 17 of the U.S. Code
- Code of Federal Regulations
Title 37, Chapter II
- Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices
- Copyright Modernization
Modernization efforts across the entire Office
- Music Modernization Act
Background and implementation steps
- Engage Your Creativity
Resources for creators
Upcoming Copyright Office public events
- Copyright Office Issues Final Rule for Remitter Payment Options and Deposit Account Requirements | September 30
- In Memory of Marybeth Peters, Eleventh Register of Copyrights | September 30
- Copyright Office Releases New and Updated Resources in Spanish | September 29
- Register Perlmutter Joins Council for Inclusive Innovation (CI2) | September 27
- Copyright Office to Hold Concluding Plenary Session for Consultations on Technical Measures | September 22
- News archive
The Music Modernization Act
This featured video highlights The Orrin G. Hatch-Bob Goodlatte Music Modernization Act (Music Modernization Act) the most significant piece of copyright legislation in decades and updates our current laws to reflect modern consumer preferences and technological developments in the music marketplace.