Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

The Licensing Division collects royalty fee payments and maintains public records filed by cable operators for retransmitting television and radio broadcasts (section 111), from satellite carriers for retransmitting nonnetwork and network television broadcasts (section 119), and importers or manufacturers that distribute digital audio recording technology products (DART) (section 1003). In general, the division deducts its operating costs from royalty fees collected and invests the balance in interest-bearing securities with the U. S. Treasury for later distribution to copyright owners. The division also collects filing fees to cover part of the costs in administering the cable and satellite licenses.

Effective January 1, 2014, pursuant to the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010 (STELA), which granted authority to the Copyright Office to establish fees for the filing of statements of account (SOAs) under the section 111, 119, and 122 statutory licenses, the Office now assesses filing fees for all SOAs for current, past, and future accounting periods. For details, see the Federal Register, November 29, 2013 (78 fr 71498). Please be advised that the filing fee is deducted before the royalty payment is credited; thus the omission of the appropriate filing fee will result in an underpayment of royalty fees. Please remit the royalty fee and filing fee in one EFT payment. (SOA1 filing fee: $15; SOA2 filing fee: $20; SOA 3 and Satellite SOA: $725.00).

Licensing Division fees are on the Copyright Office website at

Payments made under cable, satellite, and DART licenses must be made using an electronic fund transfer (EFT). An EFT payment provides advantages to the remitter and the Copyright Office as the agency responsible for collecting and distributing royalty fees. EFTs can be transmitted either as an Automated Clearing House (ACH) credit or a Fedwire (“wire”) transaction, depending upon how you arrange the transfer through your financial institution. Or you may use an ACH debit via the U. S. Treasury Department Financial Management Service’s web-based remittance system

For more information on royalty payments, go to or email us at [email protected].

The Licensing Division is located in the Library of Congress, James Madison Memorial Building, at 101 Independence Avenue between First and Second Streets S.E., Washington, D.C., on Capitol Hill. All mail to the division should be addressed to:
Library of Congress
Copyright Office–LD
101 Independence Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20557-6400*

*The four-digit zip code extension ensures direct delivery to the Licensing Division. Failure to use it often results in long delays.

You may also contact the Licensing Division by telephone, facsimile, or email at:

Tel: (202) 707-8150
Fax: (202) 707-0905
Email: [email protected]

Licensing Division staff members are available to answer questions between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., eastern time, Monday through Friday, except federal holidays.

Click on and follow the menu options.

Copyright registration records, the card catalog, and copies of Licensing Division records are available for public inspection and copying in the Copyright Office Public Records Reading Room (CPRRR) Monday through Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., eastern time, except federal holidays. For a list of available Licensing Division public records, see Some cable statements of account records may be obtained electronically on the Copyright Office website at Photocopies of current unexamined statement of account filings are available for public viewing in the CPRRR. Microfilmed copies of examined statement of accounts from prior years are also available in the CPRRR.

If you require more information or need to see examined statements of account for recent accounting periods, please contact the Information Section by phone at (202) 707-8150 or by email at [email protected] You may also use the phone on the computer work table conveniently located near the front of the CPRRR.

The Copyright Office Public Records Reading Room (CPRRR) is located in room LM–404 of the James Madison Memorial Building of the Library of Congress at 101 Independence Avenue S.E., Washington, D.C. 20540. The CPRRR provides registered users access to the card catalog, copyright registration records, and licensing public records.

All patrons using copyright records in public service areas are required to have reader identification cards issued by the Library. The cards are free and can be obtained by presenting a valid driver’s license, state-issued identification card, or passport at the reader registration station in room LM–140 on the first floor of the James Madison Memorial Building near the Independence Avenue entrance. The reader registration station is open8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday. It is closed  on Sundays and federal holidays. Researchers must register in person at the reader registration station. The Library cannot take registrations via telephone or the Internet. Go to for more information.

The Licensing Division will search its public records and provide a report of its findings.  Please be advised that there are limitations on searches and that searches are not always conclusive. There is a $200.00 minimum fee for this service. Additional hours beyond the first hour are $200.00 per hour or fraction thereof. For further information, go to

Copies made by staff are 50 cents per exposure with a minimum fee of $12.00. Email a request to [email protected] or phone (202) 707-8150 to speak with a staff member. For more information, go to

Circulars and forms are on the Licensing Division website at

The Copyright Royalty Board is comprised of three copyright royalty judges who have authority for adjusting the rates and terms of the statutory licenses and determining the distribution of royalties from the statutory license royalty pools that the Library of Congress administers. The Librarian of Congress appointed the first three judges on January 11, 2006. The judges serve staggered six-year terms. For more information on the Copyright Royalty Board, go to