Technical Measures Consultations
The Copyright Office is using the regulations.gov system for the submission and posting of statements of interest to request to participate in the consultations and comments for the record. All statements and comments are therefore to be submitted electronically through regulations.gov. If you are unable to file submissions electronically or have a question about the submission process, please contact the Copyright Office as indicated in the Federal Register notice.
Please carefully read and comply with the following instructions for posting submissions (statements or interest or comments) via the regulations.gov comment form. A link to the form is provided at the bottom of the page.
If you are interested in participating in the consultation process, please submit a statement of interest. If you are not interested in participating in the consultation process but wish to contribute to the record, please submit a comment. Individuals or organizations should not submit both a statement of interest and a comment. Please indicate whether you are submitting a “statement of interest” or a “comment” at the top of your submission.
Instructions for Statements of Interest:
- Please indicate which question(s) in the Notice you are answering in your submission. Please also indicate your organization’s request to participate in the consultations and identify the individual (name, title, contact information) who will be participating in the plenary and industry-sector based sessions.
Instructions for Comments:
- Please indicate which question(s) in the Notice you are answering in your submission.
Instructions for Short Submissions (both Statements of Interest and Comments)
- Short submissions may be typed into the “Comment” field on the form, or may be submitted as an attachment using the form. If you are typing your statements into the “Comment” field, please do not upload a file containing duplicate submissions.
- Please note that the “Comment” field has a 5000-character limit. Longer submissions must be uploaded as a separate file, as instructed below.
Instructions for Uploading Submissions (both Statements of Interest and Comments)
- In preparing a file to upload, please be sure that the document includes the name of the submitter and any organization the submitter represents at the top of the document. This information is required in the uploaded document even though the submitter is also completing the fields in the regulations.gov comment form asking for “First Name,” “Last Name” and, where applicable, “Organization Name.”
- If you are uploading a file, you should not type any information into the “Comment” field. Instead, upload the file by clicking the “Choose files” button under the “Upload file(s)” section of the form. When a file is uploaded, the system will automatically populate the “Comment” field with the phrase “See attached file(s).”
- To meet accessibility standards, uploaded submissions must be provided in a single file not to exceed six megabytes (MB) in one of the following formats: Portable Document File (PDF) format containing searchable, accessible text (not an image); Microsoft Word; WordPerfect; Rich Text Format (RTF); or ASCII text file format (not a scanned document).
Instructions for the First Name, Last Name, Contact Information, and Organization Name Fields
- Individual Submitters:
- Individual submitters not representing an organization must provide the first and last name of the person submitting in the “First Name” and “Last Name” fields. Leave the box labeled “I am submitting on behalf of a third party” unchecked. If submitting on behalf of more than one individual, use the first and last name of the first individual listed on the submission, but after the last name add “et al.” (e.g., type “Jane” as the first name and “Doe et al.” as the last name). If desired, provide contact information by checking the box labeled “I want to provide my contact information” and completing the related fields. Please note that all information and files provided in the submission process will be publicly available.
- Organizational submitters must provide the first and last name of an authorized representative of the organization who is responsible for the submission in the “First Name” and “Last Name” fields. For example, if the submission is signed, use the name of the person who signed the submission. Alternatively, use the name of the person in the organization who authorized the submission. Organizational commenters must check the box labeled “I am submitting on behalf of a third party” and provide the name of the organization in the “Organization Name” field. If desired, contact information for the organization may be included by checking the box labeled “I want to provide my contact information” and completing the related fields. Please note that all information and files provided in the submission process will be publicly available.